Logo TU Ilmenau

Contact Person

Dr. Andreas Schwarz

International Commissioner

Phone +49 3677 69 4694

Send email

You are here


Information & Advice

Navigationpoint General
Navigationpoint Finances
Navigationpoint Procedure

What to keep in mind?

Most of the work of planning a semester abroad depends on your commitment. Only you can plan this time abroad regarding your own personal preferences. You should be aware of the large amount of organisational work you have to do in order to spend a semester abroad. But this work will pay off! You can find help in the team of the International Office and WM International.

A few hints for your application:


  • Pay attention to the application deadlines!

Every programme has its own application deadline. Usually, students who apply late will not be considered in the application process.


  • Inform yourself comprehensively at an early stage!

You should plan at least one year ahead. Some programs even require more time. Do not underestimate the organisational work!

When should you go abroad?

The time to go abroad is not fixed. For Bachelor students, it is recommended to spend a semester abroad after completing the fourth semester. In general, you should not go abroad too early. This prior experience allows you to decide which areas you want to focus on in general and in your studies abroad. An adequate basic knowledge of your study is helpful to plan your time abroad usefully regarding the acquisition of credits.

In exceptional cases, it is possible to choose an earlier period of time for a semester abroad (e.g. programs of DAAD for short-run study courses).

It is possible for Master students to go abroad with the start of the first semester

Proof of Language

Studying in English, Chinese, Spanish or Swedish?
A stay abroad is strongly tied to learning and improving language skills. Universities always require proof of language skills before accepting students from abroad to make sure the international students can follow the lectures and literature and have the opportunity to pass exams. These language skills can be improved very fast abroad.
With the internationalisation of science and universities, English skills are getting more and more important.

Free language certificates:
The language institute of the TU Ilmenau offers out a DAAD – language certificate together with the responsible language tutor. The language tutor tests the language skills of the applicant.

Some universities are also satisfied with proving that the students learned a language for a certain amount of time. Mostly this can be proven with certificates and transcript of courses

Fee-based language certificates:
The most common language certificates for the English language are:

  • Cambridge ESOL

Language certificates for other languages:
Do you need a certificate for a language in another language? The DAAD websites published an overview of language certificates for other languages.

Ask and know more!
It is always recommended to get in contact with the responsible professor or to ask the International Office if it comes to proofing language skills before doing an expensive fee-based language test.

Recognition of Courses

Did you complete modules abroad that should be recognised at the TU Ilmenau?

Read more about it on the side Anerkennung von im Ausland erbrachten Leistungen


An important question that should be discussed early is the question about “How to finance my stay abroad?”.
In the following tabs, we try to give a short overview of the best-known possibilities and programmes to finance your stay abroad.

Tuition Fees

Semester Abroad:
You do not have to pay tuition fees if you study a semester abroad at a partner university after you have been chosen by the selection panel.

Double Degree:
The Double Degrees for Bachelor and Master ensure that you do not have to pay tuition fees at the partner universities. 


What is ERASMUS+?
ERASMUS+ is a programme of the European Union that supports students in their mobility within Europe. It offers financial support and also an active network of fellow European students abroad. ERASMUS+ supports various kinds of going abroad, two of them is the semester abroad and a placement abroad (LEONARDO).

What are the advantages of ERASMUS+ for a semester abroad?

  • No tuition fees
  • Monthly financial support up to 300 Euro
  • It is compatible with AuslandsBAföG

Who is responsible for ERASMUS+ at the university?
The International Office guides the ERASMUS+ cooperations at the TU Ilmenau. The team also advises students when it comes to applying for ERASMUS+ and further administrative tasks.

Petra Schmolinsky
Max-Planck-Ring 14
Haus G, Zimmer 1310
Tel.: +49 3677 69-2521
Fax: +49 3677 69-1770

Do not miss to have a look at the website of the International Office!


The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is a funding organisation that supports the mobility of many students and universities in Germany and abroad.
DAAD also offers many scholarships for a stay abroad, for which you can apply. Not only German students can apply for the financial support, but also international students.

The DAAD has many information about planning a stay aborad and an overview of scholarships on their website.


What is AuslandsBAföG?
AuslandsBAföG is the opposite to normal BAföG that is offered to students in Germany to support their living. AuslandsBAfög is a funding system of the German state that finances German students, who want to go abroad.
The stay abroad needs to initiated from a German university to be supported in Europe and worldwide. If it is not initiated by a German university support is only possible for a stay in Europe.

What are the advantages of AuslandsBAföG?

  • It can be received for a semester abroad, a placement abroad and for free movers
  • Pays 4.600 Euro of tuition fees for one year only
  • Monthly support of maximum 735 Euro (depending on country)
  • Financial support for arrival and departure
  • Addition for insurance costs
  • Compatible with ERASMUS+

Please be aware that those numbers underlie the BAföG law that could change anytime. Take a look at the website of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research for the latest conditions and numbers.
Additionally, it is important to know that it is only able to receive AuslandsBAföG for a stay abroad from at least six months until one year.
Attention! An application pays off! Even if you do not get the normal BAföG for your education in Germany, it is recommended to apply for AuslandsBAföG. The calculation base is different to the one for BAföG, which means that students, who do not get normal BAföG might get AuslandsBAföG.

Who is responsible for AuslandsBAföG at the university?
The Studierendenwerk is responsible for AuslandsBAfög. Here it is necessary to know that each Studierendenwerk is responsible for a certain region abroad. The Studierendenwerk in Ilmenau is responsible for Canada. Nevertheless, a visit for general questions is no problem.

Amt für Ausbildungsförderung (BAföG)
Max-Planck Ring 18
98693 Ilmenau
Tel.: 03677/693811

Find out which Studierendenwerk is responsible for your destination.

We recommend the BAföG-page of the Federal Ministery of Education and Research for further information.


A scholarship can finance a stay abroad completely or partly. Everyone can apply for a scholarship. Students can choose from a great range of different scholarships, but a lot of them are connected with special conditions or special backgrounds, like very talented students, for special destinations, for students with handicaps or for only special aspects for going abroad, like the arrival. 

It pays off to get informed about the scholarships offered by the TU Ilmenau itself and for your particular university.

The International Office has an overview of the possible scholarships on their website.

To get a reliable overview of further scholarships it is recommended to use the Stipendienlotsen of the Federal Ministery of Education and Research. 



Step One: When do I have to start preparing?
15 to 12 months in advance you should think about the reason for studying abroad. This is important in order to make your decision regarding the country/university and your area of study.


Step Two: Where do I want to go? What do I want to study?
Should it be a semester abroad, a Double Degree or a placement abroad? Do you want to study in Europe or worldwide? What university should it be (you should always have two alternatives to your main destination)?
Try to get as much information as possible online during this time. The WM International Team and the International Office might also help you. If you have questions about a certain cooperation, try to find out which professor is responsible for the cooperation and ask your questions in a consultation meeting. 


Step Three: How do I finance my stay abroad?
Inform yourself comprehensively at an early stage about possible sponsorships and deadlines!
(Website of the International Office of the TU Ilmenau, consultation hours at the International Office of the TU Ilmenau, personal appointments with the respective person in charge for the partner university). You can find more information about financial support on this page. 

Step Four: Application
With your decision on the destination and the university, an important step is done. Now you have to start the application process. The department has a specific procedure regarding the application for a place at university. You will find all the essential information on Application & more.

Step Five: Selection Process
After applying for a partner university of the IfMK you will be informed when the selection process is done. In case you have been accepted, this message will include information about further required steps.

Step Six: Confirmation and now?

The next step is to contact the International Office. Together you will prepare a Learning Agreement and talk about possibilities of grants, like ERASMUS+.
You can take care of other financial support independently, such as DAAD or AuslandsBAföG.
The International Office also might have some interesting advice for living and arriving abroad.