Visa required for internships in the UK
Requirements for an Erasmus+ funding in the UK from April 2023 on
UK can still be funded as an Erasmus+ partner country. However, in order to carry out a traineeship in the country, the following conditions must be met:
- The traineeship takes place at a licensed institution that is entitled to issue a CoS (Certificate of Sponsorship), or
- you obtain a CoS independently through BUNAC or Fragomen.
- Apply for a TIER5 visa for your stay in the UK (at your own expense) after receiving your CoS.
If a traineeship in the UK is an option for you, please contact EU-Praktikum THÜRINGEN for advice at least 5 months in advance to clarify your options!
Erasmus+ funding project 2020: Internships in the UK still possible until the end of February 2023!
Have you always dreamed about an internship in the UK, but Brexit has thwarted your plans? Then we have good news for you. You can still apply for funding as long as your internship in the UK is completed by the end of February 2023 at the latest.
- Application deadline: approx. 5 months before the start of the internship
- Funding duration: 2 - 12 months
- Erasmus+ funding for the UK: 555 €/month
Due to the Brexit, you need a Tier 5 visa for a stay in the UK, for which you have to apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) in advance.
We are happy to support you during your visa preparation! It is important that you apply for the CoS at least 3 months before the start of the internship so that you receive the visa on time and can start the internship as planned.
The following documents are required for the application of the CoS:
- Tier5 Application Form (signed by participant and Erasmus+ Coordinator)
- Erasmus+ Confirmation Letterfrom home institution (with funding period and amount)
- Acceptance Letter from the host institution
- Erasmus+ Learning Agreement
- Transcript of Records (translated in English)
- Internship Agreement with the host institution
- if applicable, Criminal Record, (depending on the field of activity during the internship)
- if applicable, Confirmation of Stay (for foreign students, translated in English)
Possible expenses during the visa process:
- CoS: £21 for Temporary Workers / £199 for Workers (free of charge for German citizens and other European countries).
- Visa: £244 (German citizens get a discount of £55)
- Access to NHS (public health service): 470 £/year
For more information klick here:
We look forward to receive your application in case you have already found an internship position. If you need support in finding a placement, please get in touch with us.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!