If you would like to take a German language course in preparation for your studies, which ends with the telc Deutsch C1 university examination, you will be placed in the intermediate (M), advanced (O) or examination preparation course after you have passed the placement test and your language level has been determined.
The participation fee for the language placement test is 80,- EUR and will be invoiced in addition to the course fees in the course of your registration.
The individual prices for the respective courses can be found on the course pages.*
You can conclude a study agreement together with the course agreement you receive from us. This means that you are already enrolled as a fellow student of the TU Ilmenau in the pre-subject studies during the linguistic study preparation and pay the semester fee.
You have applied for studies at the TU Ilmenau and received a conditional admission with the requirement of proof of language level C1 in German.
If you have decided to take one of our German courses, proceed as follows:
- Once you have received conditional admission and would like to take one of our language courses, visit the following website and register for the language placement test:RegistrationThe registration period ends on 04 March 2022.
- When registering for the language placement test, enter all the requested and important data. Also, make sure that the spelling is correct and provide your date of birth.
- Select the booking package offered for the summer semester 2022.
- Carry out the further steps as indicated.
- Following your booking, you will receive an invoice by mail as well as a booking confirmation. The invoice includes:Test fee, Course fee, costs for seminar material, Examination costs (Telc C1 University)
- Please transfer the invoice amount to the account indicated. Please make sure to use the purpose of payment indicated on the invoice! You will only be able to take part in the language assessment test and the language courses once the transfer has been made in full. ATTENTION: If there are any transaction costs for the bank transfer, please make sure that they are at your expense.
- As soon as the money has been credited to our account, you will receive a confirmation of payment as well as a confirmation of attendance.
- As soon as you have these documents you can apply for a visa. ATTENTION: Book an appointment at the responsible authority or embassy immediately. Do not wait too long! The processing of your visa application may take a long time!
- Arrive on time for the language assessment test and bring your passport, your conditional admission and your booking confirmation with you. You will receive all information by mail shortly before the language placement test.
- After you have passed the language placement test, you will receive a message informing you that you have passed. If you have successfully passed, you will also receive an offer of a place on the M, O or exam preparation course.
- Let us know your answer in a short e-mail. Within a few days you will receive a course agreement, a study agreement and the teaching material required for the course.
- A refund of the course fees (minus the fee of the language entrance test in the amount of 80,- Euro) will be made if you have taken the language entrance test and we cannot offer you a course due to the result. If you are unable to attend for personal reasons (illness, visa delay, etc.), the amount paid will remain as a credit until 31.12.2023 and can be used by you for our courses in the following semesters. In principle, there is an obligation to provide proof of non-use of the offer (visa refusal, illness, etc.).
Language classification test
The language study preparation starts with a language placement test.
This test serves to assess your language skills (at least language level B1 CEFR) so that you can be placed in the best possible language group (M-course/O-course/examination preparation course) during the subsequent language training.
According to the decision of the German Rectors' Conference only language certificates of the providers DSH, Telc or TestDaF are accepted. Certificates from other providers must be checked by the TU Ilmenau and the TU Ilmenau Service GmbH. Please send us a copy of your language certificate: E-mail
In addition, every applicant for a place in the DaF courses who does not have a certificate at level C1 is obliged to take the language assessment test.
The language placement test will take place on
17 March 2022 at the TU Ilmenau
The language placement test includes the following topics:
- Reading comprehension
- scientific language structures
- Text production
For more information, please refer to the booking confirmation and your invoice after you have registered.
If you have not received one, please send us ane-mail
We would like to point out that there is only one language placement test per semester.
* A refund of the course fees (minus the fee of the language entrance test in the amount of 80,- Euro ) will be made if you have taken the language entrance test and we cannot offer you a course due to the result. If you are unable to attend for personal reasons (illness, visa delay, etc.), the amount paid will remain as a credit until 31.12.2023 and can be used by you for our courses in the following semesters. In principle, there is an obligation to provide proof of non-use of the offer (visa refusal, illness, etc.).