Logo TU Ilmenau

Photo of the Contact Person
Contact Person

Robert Heldt

Phone +49 3677 692539

Send email

You are here


Aliens Department

Any international student, postgraduate student, researcher or student of a language course must register with the Aliens Department (Ausländerbehörde) of Ilm-kreis.  

The validity of the visa is limited (see declaration of visa validity).  Usually the visa you receive upon entry in Germany is valid for no longer than three months. Within this time you will need to ask for an "Application for a residence permit" (“Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis”) at the Aliens Department.

This application  must be truthfully and correctly filled in and an appointment needs to be made with the Aliens Department.   Postgraduate students and researchers may have this application provided to them by their supervisor.  You can also pick up a copy from the We4You team in the International Office and they will be able to provide you further assistance.

Your form must be completed and correctly filled out before your appointment with the immigration office !

On the grounds of liability, the appointment-time can only be organised online. Go to their online booking tool and schedule an appointment.

The Aliens Department has service hours here at TU Ilmenau Academic Service Center (ASC) in the cantina building for which you will usually get the appointment. This way you don't have to travel to Arnstadt where it has its headquarters.

You must have the following documents organised for your appointment:
1. Passport with visa
2. Employment and/or enrollment certificate
3. Proof of health insurance
4. Lease agreement
5. Registration certificate (City of  Ilmenau), no older than 4 weeks
6. Proof of financial resources (eg. bank statement)
7. Completed application form
8. Recent passport-size photograph (width: 35mm, height: 45mm)

Points 4 - 8 only need to be followed if you intend on staying in Germany longer than three months.

To avoid issues with your residency, please make sure the validity of your passport is extended.  Generally, your passport should still be valid for at least three months upon expiration of your residence permit.