Logo TU Ilmenau

Photo of the Contact Person
Contact Person

Robert Heldt

Phone +49 3677 692539

Send email

You are here


Housing Assistance

Housing assistance for foreign students and employees

Foreigners are also eligible for housing assistance!

Citizens of the EU, Switzerland and European Economic Area

Foreigners who belong to an EU Member State are automatically entitled to freedom of movement under the Freedom of Movement Act/EU and therefore entitled to the housing assistance rental subsidies.
Proof of identity and a valid passport must be shown along with a legitimate lease agreement or proof of housing arrangement.  Foreigners must adhere to the general requirements for housing assistance.

Citizens of non-EU countries

A valid residence permit under the Residence Act is required for foreigners who do not belong to an EU member state and wish to apply for housing assistance.  It must therefore be proven that they are legally entitled to reside in the Federal Republic of Germany.  These include persons who, under § 3 WoGG:

  • have a residence permit or have been granted a “tolerated” stay
  • have a right to stay in accordance with agreements under international law
  • have a residence permit under the Asylum Procedure Act
  • have the status of a homeless foreigner (as defined in the Act on the legal status of stateless foreigners) or;
  • on the grounds of a statutory order are exempt  from the requirements of a residence permit

Claiming housing assistance as an asylum seeker

Foreigners who are approved residence for the implementation of the asylum process (asylum seekers) may be eligible to claim housing assistance. This claim, however, would only apply to the running process period to grant asylum in the Federal Republic of Germany. Once this procedure is successfully completed, the individual would then receive assistance under the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act (AsylbLG).

Other Requirements

Successful claims for housing assistance is dependant on the following three conditions:

  • Number of household members to be considered
  • Amount of total income
  • Amount of rent / financial burden

In principle, persons receiving “transfer payments,” such as unemployment benefits or other basic social security services are not entitled to housing assistance.