Citizens' Campus: The "Genius" of Thuringia - New Research on Meister Eckhart
In his lecture, Prof. Dr. Dietmar Mieth, professor emeritus of "Theological Ethics with Special Reference to the Social Sciences" at the Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, will present important aspects of Meister Eckhart's life, work and theology in the light of recent research, based on a depiction on a fresco in the church of Santa Maria Novella in Florence by Andrea de Firenze from the 14th century.
- A painting from Santa Maria Novella in Florence (c. 1360) stirs the imagination today.
- Where and how Eckhart von Hochheim lived: as a Dominican friar, as a reading magister in Paris and Cologne, as a "living master" and preacher - on itinerant paths and Europe.
- "Education" and "reality" - Eckhart's traces in the German language.
- A project for the faithful - the "exaltation" of God: what was "outside" and "above" became "inside". A spiritual, social and ecclesiastical challenge.
- Meister Eckhart - today international and interreligious on the way in Europe, USA, Asia... The international Meister Eckhart societies and their profile.
- The French philosophers today - what do they inherit from Meister Eckhart?
- His humane Christianity is up to date - the human dignity of all people.
- How does the edition of his sermons stand today: 80 unedited sermons are still to be found in the manuscripts and are being researched in Erfurt at the Max Weber College.
Just 700 years ago, in 1323, Eckhart came from Strasbourg to the Studium Generale in Cologne.
In 2028, there will be an international celebration in Erfurt to commemorate Meister Eckhart's death in 1328.
Prof. em. Dr. Dietmar Mieth
Eberhard Karls University Tübingen