According to a survey by the student portal UNICUM, the campus of the TU Ilmenau is one of the most beautiful in Germany. The historic university buildings from 1894 are today complemented by modern research and teaching buildings in futuristic architecture. The distances on the campus are short: not only the lecture halls and laboratories, but also the university library, the largest technical library in Thuringia, the sports centre, the canteen, several student clubs and a shopping centre are within walking distance.
The Campusfinder Ilmenau shows the campus of the TU Ilmenau with numerous markers. In addition to university buildings, lecture halls, examination offices and other study-related facilities, catering facilities and student clubs are also marked here, for example. Clicking on a marker opens an info window with additional information, including pictures, addresses, opening hours and further links.
By car, the TU Ilmenau can be reached directly via the A71 motorway. From the north, coming from Erfurt, it branches off the A4 southbound at the Erfurt motorway junction. From the Ilmenau-Ost motorway exit, after almost 30 kilometres, the university is signposted. Coming from the south, from the direction of Nürnberg/Schweinfurt, take the Ilmenau-West exit. By train there is a regular shuttle service Ilmenau - Erfurt; from Erfurt there are regular ICE connections in all directions. The airport Erfurt-Weimar is only a good 40 kilometres away.
The first university buildings of the Georg-Schmidt-Technikum from the 19th century are today complemented by the futuristic architecture of modern teaching and research buildings. Each building has its own name, inspired by famous scientists: from "Humboldtbau" to "Newtonbau" and "Zusebau", named after the inventor of the computer.