This website is intended for researchers. For students, we recommend the we4you arrival website.

For all foreign scientists, doctoral candidates, students and language course participants at the TU Ilmenau, the Foreigners' Registration Office of the Ilmkreis in Arnstadt is responsible.

Since the period of validity of your visa in your passport is limited (see validity note on the visa), you must renew it or apply for a subsequent residence title. The entry visa is usually valid between 3 and 6 months. Within this period, you must submit an "Application for the Issue of a Residence Permit" to the Aliens' Registration Office and thus obtain a residence title which is then valid for a longer period of time for the purpose of your stay.

To do this, you must fill out the "Application for a Residence Permit"truthfullyand completely and make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. When you go to the appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office, you must bring the completed form with you!

For reasons of bindingness, appointments are normally only made online. Go to the online appointment system and book an appointment. Attention: Due to contact restrictions, contact the Aliens' Registration Office with your request currently only by e-mail! In the reply you will be informed how to proceed.

The Foreigners' Registration Office usually has service hours in the Academic Service Center (ASC) of the TU Ilmenau in the Mensa building. This is usually where your interview will take place. This way, you do not have to travel to Arnstadt, where the Foreigners' Registration Office of the Ilm District has its headquarters.


Please have the following documents ready when applying for a residence permit:

  1. Passport with visa
  2. Employment contract and / or certificate of enrolment
  3. Proof of health insurance
  4. Rental contract
  5. Registration certificate, which is not older than 4 weeks
  6. Proof of financing
  7. completed application form
  8. Current passport photo (please observe the requirements for passport photos, see sample chart in the ASC - width: 35 mm, height: 45 mm)

You only need to follow points 4 to 8 if you will be staying in Germany for longer than three months.

To avoid residence problems, please have the validity of your passport extended in time. As a rule, the passport must be valid for 3 months longer than the residence permit.

Further information on hiring international employees can be found on the university intranet.