This website is intended for researchers. For students, we recommend the we4you arrival website.

In order to be allowed to stay in Germany for a longer period of time to study or work / do research, you need a residence permit in the form of a purpose-bound residence title, as long as you are not a citizen of the European Union. An appropriate, purpose-bound visa is required for entry.

For doctoral students and scientists, it is particularly advisable to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of research (§18d AufhG). It facilitates the employment of scientists from non-EU countries and offers advantages for family and children in terms of residence law.

In order to obtain an entry visa and a residence permit for the purpose of research, a hosting agreement must exist with the research department of the TU Ilmenau that is hosting you. Whether you receive a residence permit as a researcher or worker is ultimately a case-by-case decision by the authorities.

Related informations about the topic Visa and residence permit in Germany

  • a service of the German Rectors' Conference (Hochschulrektorenkonferenz)
  • a service of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research
  • a service of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
  • an offer of the Federal Government for skilled workers from abroad