The publication of the doctoral thesis is an essential part of the doctoral procedure (see doctoral procedure of the TU Ilmenau). This includes the free submission of the doctoral thesis to the Ilmenau University Library (UB). There are different possibilities of publication, which are presented in the following.
We recommend electronic publication, as it is better perceived via the Internet and therefore easier to use than some distributed printed copies. Please contact us before writing the final version of your doctoral thesis - this will save you and us unnecessary work.
In order to ensure a speedy processing of the publication, please proceed as follows:
- The first step is always to register your dissertation (PhD thesis) via the online form.
- Please note that this registration can only be done online. The file attachments required in the registration (German and English summary) must be formatted as pure TXT files. The size of these files is limited to a maximum of 2400 characters each.
When registering, you must decide in which form you want to publish: :
An ideal combination of both possibilities, electronic and printed publication, is offered to you e.g. by Universitätsverlag Ilmenau.
By submitting your work in electronic form, you can benefit from the advantages of an electronic publication, including faster distribution, easier access, integration into Internet search engines, and citation capability through permanent identifiers (URN, Uniform Resource Name)
After registering your dissertation via the web form we will send you a URN for your electronic dissertation, which enables your electronic document to be identified persistently, regardless of location. Please position this URN before creating the presentation format (PDF/A or PS) and before printing your dissertation on the title page at the bottom on the left.
Example of positioning: URN positioning
This is important because the dissertation in electronic form must match the printed copies in all
Furthermore, the following must be submitted (procedures and deadlines must be coordinated with the UB):
- the full text of the dissertation in presentation format(PDF/A or PS), whereby the files must not have any password and/or copy protection (this condition results from the guarantee of long-term archiving by the German National Library),
- 4 printed copies for archiving in the University Library, which must be printed on age-resistant wood-free and acid-free paper and require a hard cover (no ring binding), and
- the completed and signed declaration of consent.
Your dissertatopm will be published by us in the Digitale Bibliothek Thüringen (dbt).
You will be notified by email of the link for direct access to your doctoral thesis.
The copies to be delivered must be printed on age-resistant wood-free and acid-free paper and require a hard cover (no ring binding).
The following are to be submitted:
- 6 copies, if a commercial publisher (publishing house) is responsible for distribution via the book trade and bindingly guarantees a minimum circulation of 150 copies or availability for a period of at least two years,
- 10 copies in book or photo printing.
Please direct your enquiries to:
+49 3677 69-4607
+49 3677 69-4615
- Dezernat Medienbearbeitung/Dissertationen -
Langewiesener Str. 37
You can find further information at: https://wwwdev.tu-ilmenau.de/universitaet/quicklinks/universitaetsbibliothek/forschen-publizieren/elektronisch-publizieren.
There you will also find: