External scientists or engineers interested in conducting their own research or development work on the model experiment "Ilmenau Barrel" are cordially invited to realize their ideas. Some examples of possible user applications are listed in the lower part of the website. Scientists from abroad can also be granted this access free of charge within the framework of the EU project EuHIT - European High Performance Infrastructures in Turbulence.
Model experiments, such as the Ilmenau barrel, allow experimental and measurement access to a variety of flow processes and contribute to a better understanding of them. Due to the large dimensions of the measuring cell, seven meters in diameter and eight meters in height, the precisely adjustable thermal boundary conditions and the almost perfect thermal shielding from the environment, countless types of pilot flows can be investigated in this experiment. A large number of state-of-the-art flow and temperature measuring instruments, listed in the lower part of the website, are available for these investigations.
If we have piqued your interest, please contact the person listed above.
We will be happy to provide you with the rules of use of the "Ilmenau Barrel".
|Distance between heating and cooling plate:||0,20 ... 6,30 m|
|Temperature of the heating plate:||10 ... 80°C|
|Temperature of the cooling plate||10 ... 80°C|
|Aspect ratio:||1,13 ... 40|
|Nusselt number:||... 650|
|Reynolds number:||... 3x105|
Possible user applications
Turbulent Rayleigh-Bénard convection:
- Velocity and temperature measurements in turbulent convection flows.
- Generation of reference data for numerical simulations
- Reference experiment for Rayleigh-Bénard cells with alternative fluids, e.g. He@5K, SF6
- Heat storage with thermal stratification
- Free and mixed convection in interiors and passenger cabins.
- Convection around local heat or cold sources
- Stability of thermally stratified fluids
Use as thermally shielded experimental space
- Investigation of large scale model flows, e.g. jets, thermal plumes etc.
- Test of novel flow and temperature measurement techniques
"Humid" air flows
- Heat transport at high humidity
- Cloud formation
- Heat transport between free liquid surfaces and gases
Available measurement technology
- 3d Laser Doppler Anemometer for local measurements
- 2d-2c Particle Image Velocimeter for field measurements up to 0.5 x 0.5 m2
- 3d Hotwire Anemometer for ultra fast velocity measurements
- 3d Particle Tracking measurement system for global field measurements (under development)
- Real-time thermography system Variocam HR with 640 x 480 pixels
- 4-channel temperature measurement system for ultrafast microthermistors