The Technische Universität Ilmenau comprises five faculties, most of which, as the name reflects, have a technical focus and where you can mostly pursue engineering courses. This focus is also reflected in the possible doctoral degrees that the university can award.
After successful completion of a doctorate, the following doctoral degrees are awarded at TU Ilmenau:
- Doctor of Engineering (Dr. Ing.) - at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, at the Faculty of Computer Science and Automation and at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
- Doctor of Natural Sciences (Dr. rer. nat.) - at the Faculty of Computer Science and Automation and at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- Doctor of Philosophy (Dr. phil.) as well as Doctor of Law (Dr. iur.) - at the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Media
The duration of doctoral studies at the TU Ilmenau varies greatly and is on average slightly longer than the average German duration of three to five years.
The majority of doctorates at the TU Ilmenau are in the form of individual doctorates.
- More than three quarters of doctoral students in Germany complete their doctorate in the form of an individual doctorate. Thus, the individual doctorate is also predominant at the TU Ilmenau.
Small number of structured doctoral programmes
- In addition to the classic individual doctorates, there are also a few structured doctoral programmes, similar to the PhD system in Anglo-Saxon countries, at the TU Ilmenau.
You can find job offers, including PhD positions and / or doctorate positions, at the online job portal of our university.
In order to be admitted as a doctoral student at TU Ilmenau, the successful completion of a Master's programme or a comparable degree is required. This must have a scope of performance of at least 300 ECTS credits (incl. Bachelor).
If you do not fully meet this requirement, your faculty may oblige you to take additional examinations, without which the doctoral examination procedure cannot be opened. The extent of any additional examinations depends on your previous subjects of study.
At TU Ilmenau, the doctorate can be completed in German or English.
The application procedure for the doctorate (Part 1: central application at the TU Ilmenau)
If you would like to do a doctorate at TU Ilmenau, you must first apply centrally at the university and later submit a doctoral application to your faculty in Ilmenau.
For the first application part, please follow the steps listed here and complete each step before moving on to the next step.