Your university. Your future. Scientific education at the highest level: Your Master's degree at TU Ilmenau
In addition to the German-language Master's programs, TU Ilmenau currently offers six Master's programs in English:
- Communications and Signal Processing
- International Business Economics
- Media and Communication Science
- Micro- and Nanotechnologies
- Research in Computer and Systems Engineering
- Research in Media Engineering
In total, there are 25 Master's degree programs to choose from.
Here you can find the list of all master programs.
For each program there is a detailed description, notes and links to further information.
Also pay attention to the module charts. This way you can find out exactly which subjects are studied in which semester in your desired degree program.
Your previous education must meet the formal requirements.
- Your school leaving certificate must allow you to study at a recognized university.
- Your previous degree (Bachelor) must be from a recognized college/university and in a recognized course of study.
The formal requirements will be evaluated by our International Admissions Office on the basis of your submitted documents.
The contents of your previous studies must correspond to the subject requirements of the Master's program for which you are applying.
Each study program has its own study regulations. The subject-specific requirements are described in the appendix to each study regulation. You can find them in the program descriptions on the website.
The subject-related requirements for your admission are checked directly in the department that is responsible for your study program. The final decision on your admission to the Master's program is also made there. This decision is specific to the study program and accordingly applies only to this one Master's program.
At the TU Ilmenau, five Master's programs are offered in English, the other programs in German. Please note the course language in the program description.
For the master's application at the TU Ilmenau you have to prove at least a B2 language certificate in the language of the course. In this case you can get a conditional admission. With a C1 language certificate you can be admitted directly to the specialized studies. Proof of a previous language of instruction is not accepted. Only language certificates are valid.
Information can be found on this page under "Language courses".
You apply directly to the TU Ilmenau via our online application portal tu-ilmenau.de/apply (not via Uni-Assist). This is very simple and straightforward.
- In the application portal you first create your own account.
- In your account you can then start your application. There are online forms that you fill out and there are areas for uploading scans of your documents. Scan your documents in original. If the documents are not in English or German, you will also need a certified translation into one of these languages.
- When your application is complete, click on "Submit Application" to send it to our International Admissions Office.
- The application will only be transmitted electronically via our applicant portal. Please do not send your application again by e-mail or as a hardcopy by mail.
- After a few days you will receive a request to pay the application fee of 75,- Euro. Please pay the fee as soon as possible. The processing of your application will not start until your money has arrived.
- If there are any questions or missing documents, our admissions office will contact you by e-mail.
- In your account you can regularly check the status of your application. Please be patient. The receipt of your application fee takes about 7 to 10 days for administrative reasons. For the processing of your Master's application you have to allow an average of six to eight weeks.
- You will receive an e-mail from the Admissions Office when your application has been processed. Your admission letter will be posted in your account in the application portal under "My documents".
If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Advisory Service at email@example.com.
Good success with your application!
For your application you need the following documents:
- Certificate of successful completion of secondary school
- Certificate of completion of a Bachelor's degree and the overview of your academic achievements (Transcript of Records / Marksheet)
- Complete curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation and/or a proposal for a Master's thesis topic in which you are particularly interested. (These documents are required for some degree programs).
- Proof of your language skills in German or English (depending on the course language, at least B2 level).
- Copy of your passport, identity card or birth certificate, which clearly shows the official spelling or transcription of your name.
There are two different application groups.
- Group G1 applies to all applicants who apply with a German qualification (school-leaving certificate, university degree).
- Group G3 applies to all applicants who apply with a foreign / international qualification (school leaving certificate, university degree).
Both groups have different application deadlines. At this point, the deadlines for group G3 - application with foreign / international degrees - are mentioned.
The application deadlines depend on the respective study program. In general:
- Winter semester (study starts on October 1): January 16 to May 15,
- Summer semester (study starts on April 1): - current changes: Application from August 16 to November 15.
Special application deadlines:
Some of the courses start in winter semester only. Application for those courses is only possible for the winter semester.
You can find the binding application deadlines on our applicant portal at tu-ilmenau.de/apply, under the "Application" icon.
Please note: The above application deadlines do not take into account the time you need to obtain your visa. The university has no influence on the granting of visas by the German embassies or consulates. It is your responsibility to arrive in time. Therefore, please apply as early as possible.
You have fulfilled all formal, language and subject-related requirements. You can now enroll directly in your Master's program.
Direct admission with obligations
You can enroll directly in your Master's program. However, in addition to your degree program, you must study additiona subjects. Only then can you also obtain the degree "Master" at the end of your studies.
There may be formal or subject-related reasons for such an admission.
Please note that your studies will probably extend by at least one semester due to the additional subjects. (A maximum of approx. 30 credits can be studied per semester).
Conditional admission with language requirement
Although you have fulfilled all subject-related requirements, your language certificate is not yet sufficient for a direct start into your Master's program.
For this reason, you will have to take further language courses and/or language exams before starting your studies. You can find more information on this page under "Language courses".
You may only begin your subject studies once you have successfully completed your language course.
Conditional admission with subject-related condition
Your admission to the Master's program is not possible directly for subject-related reasons.
However, you will be invited to a subject-related preparatory course at the TU Ilmenau. Your master's studies may only be started when your preparatory course has been completed. As soon as you have successfully completed the exams of your preparatory course, you can change to the master's program.
Please note that your studies will probably extend by at least one semester due to the additional subjects. (A maximum of 30 credits per semester can be studied).
Depending on your personal requirements, language and subject requirements may be imposed at the same time.
The conditions must be fulfilled before you can start your subject studies.
Preparatory language courses
If you have a conditional admission (with the condition to prove the C1 language level until the start of your studies), then you are free to decide whether you want to
- look for a language course in your home country or in Germany yourself, or whether
- choose the preparatory language course in Ilmenau.
As soon as you have obtained one of the recognized language certificates at C1 level, your requirement is considered fulfilled and you can begin your Master's studies.
Language courses in Ilmenau
Preparatory language courses in German and English are offered in Ilmenau by the TU Ilmenau Service GmbH. You have to register directly there for the language placement test. The final exam offered is the TELC exam (German) or TOEFL (ITP) (English).
Please inform yourself in advance about all dates, registration and course fees.
During the time of the language course you will already be registered as a student in the study preparation program at the TU Ilmenau. You will pay an administrative semester fee (service fee) of approx. 135 euros (including a semester ticket for the train in Thuringia).
During your study preparation, you are only allowed to work alongside your studies during the lecture-free period (during the semester break).
This restriction does not apply to jobs as student assistants directly at the university.
By attending the Academic Preparation Course (APC), pre-subject studies at our university, you can fulfill the subject-relatedl requirements for enrollment in your master's program.
You can find your personal study plan for the APC and further information in your account in our applicant portal.
In the application under "sections" you will find a new section "NEW expert evaluation".
Please download there the information of the faculty for your conditions. Use this information together with your admission for the visa application.
- Your subject-related study preparation will usually extend your study time by about one semester.
- During the time of the pre-courses you will already be registered as a student in the study preparation at the TU Ilmenau. For this you pay an administrative semester fee (service fee) of approx. 135 euros (including a semester ticket for the train in Thuringia).
- During your study preparation, you are only allowed to work during the lecture-free period (during the semester break) alongside your studies in the first year. This restriction does not apply to jobs as student assistants at the university.