Your university. Your future. Start your bachelor studies at the TU Ilmenau!
At the TU Ilmenau you can choose from 18 different courses of study. Fields of study are
- Engineering sciences,
- mathematics and natural sciences as well as
- media and economics.
All Bachelor's degree programmes are offered in German.
Here you can find the list of all bachelor programs.
For each degree program there is a detailed description, notes and links to further information.
Also pay attention to the module charts. This way you can find out exactly which subjects are studied in which semester in your desired degree program.
Requirement school-leaving certificate
Your school leaving certificate must be accepted for study in Germany. There are two criteria for this.
- As a rule, your school leaving certificate must also allow you to study at a recognized university in your home country.
- In addition, your school leaving certificate is compared with the German "Abitur". In Germany, the Abitur is the school leaving certificate that allows you to study at a university, i.e. the "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung" (HZB).
If you apply to the TU Ilmenau, our International Admissions Office will check your documents and inform you about the result. There are direct admissions and conditional admissions (admission with a condition that must be fulfilled before studying). You can find information on this page under "Language Course" and "Studienkolleg".
You can inform yourself in advance about the evaluation of your certificates. Our International Admissions Office works according to the recommendations of the Ministers of Education of all German states. Under Anabin you will find the information system for the recognition of foreign degrees (only in German).
The website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) also offers a very clear admissions database. You can also find much more information at
All bachelor courses at the TU Ilmenau are offered in German.
The residence law in Germany limits the time you are allowed to learn the language before studying in Germany. Therefore, you need to have a good knowledge of the German language even before entering Germany.
For the bachelor application at the TU Ilmenau you have to prove at least a B1 language certificate. In this case you can get a conditional admission. With a C1 language certificate you can be admitted directly to the study program.
You can find information on this page under "Language course".
You apply directly to the TU Ilmenau via our online application portal tu-ilmenau.de/apply (not via Uni-Assist). This is very simple and straightforward.
- In the application portal you first create your own account.
- In your account you can then start your application. There are online forms that you fill out and there are areas for uploading scans of your documents. Scan your documents in original. If the documents are not in English or German, you will also need a certified translation into one of these languages.
- When your application is complete, click on "Submit Application" to send it to our International Admissions Office.
- The application will only be transmitted electronically via our applicant portal. Please do not send your application again by e-mail or as a hardcopy by mail.
- After a few days you will receive a request to pay the application fee of 75,- Euro. Please pay the fee as soon as possible. The processing of your application will not start until your money has arrived.
- If there are any questions or missing documents, our admissions office will contact you by e-mail.
- In your account you can regularly check the status of your application. Please be patient. The receipt of your application fee takes about 7 to 10 days for administrative reasons. For the processing of your Bachelor's application you have to allow an average of four to six weeks.
- You will receive an e-mail from the Admissions Office when your application has been processed. Your admission letter will be posted in your account in the application portal under "My documents".
If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Advisory Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good success with your application!
For your application you need the following documents:
- Certificate of successful completion of secondary school
- Certificate or the performance overview of a previous study, if you have already studied
- Complete curriculum vitae
- Proof of your German language skills (at least level B1!)
- Copy of your passport, identity card or birth certificate, from which the official spelling or transcription of your name can be clearly read.
There are two different application groups.
- Group G1 applies to all applicants who apply with a German qualification (school-leaving certificate or - if already studied - university degree).
- Group G3 applies to all applicants who apply with a foreign / international qualification (school leaving certificate or - if already studied - university degree).
Both groups have different application deadlines. At this point, the deadlines for group G3 - application with foreign / international degrees - are mentioned.
All Bachelor programs start only in the winter semester.
The application period runs from January 16 to May 15 each year.
You can find the binding application deadlines on our applicant portal at tu-ilmenau.de/apply, under the icon "Application" (switch the portal to English).
Please note: The above application deadlines do not take into account the time you need to obtain your visa. The university has no influence on the granting of visas by the German embassies or consulates. It is your responsibility to arrive in time. Therefore, please apply as early as possible.
You have fulfilled all formal, language and subject requirements. You can now enroll directly in your bachelor's degree program.
Conditional admission with language requirement
You have fulfilled all subject-related requirements, but your language certificate is not yet sufficient for a direct start in your Bachelor's degree program.
For this reason, you will have to take further language courses and/or language exams before starting your studies. You can find more information on this page under "Language Course".
You may only start your studies once you have successfully completed your language course.
Conditional admission with Studienkolleg requirement
Your admission to the Bachelor's program is not possible directly, depending on your school leaving certificate.
For this reason, you must complete a Studienkolleg before beginning your studies. You can find more information on this page under "Studienkolleg".
You may only begin your studies once you have successfully completed the final examination at the Studienkolleg.
Preparatory language course
If you have a conditional admission (with the condition to prove the C1 language level until the start of your studies), then you are free to decide whether you want to
- look for a language course in your home country or in Germany yourself, or whether
- choose the preparatory language course in Ilmenau.
As soon as you have obtained one of the recognized language certificates at C1 level, your requirement is considered fulfilled and you can start your Bachelor studies.
Language course in Ilmenau
The preparatory German course in Ilmenau is offered by the TU Ilmenau Service GmbH. You must register directly there for the language placement test. The TELC exam is offered as a final exam.
Information of the TU Ilmenau for the preparation of studies
Information of the TU Ilmenau Service GmbH
Please inform yourself in advance about all dates, registration and course fees.
During the time of the language course you will already be enrolled as a student in the study preparation program at the TU Ilmenau. You will pay an administrative semester fee (service fee) of approx. 135 euros (including a semester ticket for the trains in Thuringia).
During your study preparation, you are only allowed to work alongside your studies during the lecture-free period (during the semester break).
This restriction does not apply to jobs as student assistants directly at the university.
The following applies: You are free to decide at which Studienkolleg you complete your study preparation. There are in Germany
- private Studienkollegs (with tuition fees) and
- state-run Studienkollegs (usually without tuition fees).
It is important that the state-approved Feststellungsprüfung (FSP) is offered for graduation from the college. The language courses and the language exam are integrated into the Studienkolleg. Your course at the Studienkolleg has a duration of two semesters. Each semester can be repeated once.
With the successful completion of the FSP, you can study anywhere in Germany. In our experience, Studienkolleg graduates are very well prepared for their studies and usually have a very good start to their studies.
The following applies to the TU Ilmenau:
You cannot apply directly for the Studienkolleg. Please apply for the study program of your choice. You will get a conditional admission (with the condition to prove the FSP of the Studienkolleg until the start of your studies).
For the TU Ilmenau the public Studienkolleg Nordhausen is responsible. With the conditional admission from the TU Ilmenau you can participate in the entrance examination at the Studienkolleg. You can find the dates and further information directly on the website of the Studienkolleg.
You do not pay any tuition fees at the Studienkolleg in Nordhausen. During this time you will be enrolled as a preparatory student at the FH Nordhausen. You will pay an administrative semester fee (service fee) of approximately 170 Euros (including a semester ticket for the train in Thuringia and the local public transport in Nordhausen). In Nordhausen you can also live in a student dormitory.
Link with further general information
During your study preparation you are only allowed to work during the lecture-free time (during the semester break) besides your studies.
This restriction does not apply to jobs as a student assistant directly at the university.
Do you have any further questions?
Please contact the International Student Advisory Service at email@example.com.