Curiebau um 1944
After founding the Ilmenau University of Applied Sciences for Electrical Engineering in 1953:
- 1954 - 1964: Institute for Chemistry, Electrochemistry and Electroplating, last in the Department of Power Engineering. Director: Prof. Josef Hampel.
- 1964 - 1968: Institute of Chemistry in the Department of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Basic Technical Sciences. Director: Prof. Heinrich Arnold.
- The other part of the predecessor institute remained in the Department of Power Engineering as the Institute of Electrochemistry and Electroplating.
- 1968 - 1990: From the institutes for chemistry and for materials science a working group for preparation (the later scientific area chemistry/materials) was formed. Together with microelectronic groups from the Institute of Electronics, as well as with the likewise dissolved Institutes of Physics and Light Engineering, the Section of Physics and Technology of Electronic Devices (PHYTEB) resulted, one of the 6 sections which were created in the course of the "3rd University Reform of the GDR". Accordingly, the Institute of Electrochemistry and Electroplating was incorporated into a working group Electrothermal and Electrochemical Engineering of the Section of Electrical Engineering.
- (For the years 1968-1990 in the "PHYTEB" section and the subsequent period until 2001, see also the "Information on the History of the Institute of Physics" at www.tu-ilmenau.de/physik/ regarding chemistry).
- 1990 - 2011: The original Institute of Chemistry became part of the Institute of Physics reconstituted in the Department of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, until 1998 as the Group of Physical Chemistry headed by Prof. Arnold. With his retirement and the appointment of his successor Prof. Peter Scharff, the Group was renamed to Group of Chemistry. In 2001 the Group of Physical Chemistry and Microreaction Engineering was added with Prof. Michael Köhler.
- In 1990, the original Institute of Electrochemistry and Electroplating became a group of the same name in the cross-department Institute of Materials Engineering, and it was assigned to the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology.
- Together with this group, the two chemical groups of the Institute of Physics formed the cross-faculty Institute of Chemistry, Electrochemistry and Electroplating in 2006 with Prof. Christine Jakob as director, without changing the institute and faculty affiliations.
- In 2011, the Institute of Chemistry and Bioengineering was founded in the Department of Mathematics and Natural Sciences from the two chemical groups of the Institute of Physics and the new group of Nanobiosystems Engineering headed by Prof. Andreas Schober. The director is Prof. Uwe Ritter from the Group of Chemistry.