Intracellular transport analysis in the cytoplasm
We use intracellular nanotracers that can be used to analyze cellular transport processes. The aim is to record the process of active transport in living cells, which is driven by molecular motors, using the microrheology of nanoparticles. To detect the movement of nanoparticles in cells, we have developed an algorithm based on local mean square displacement (MSD) analysis.
MSD analysis makes it possible to detect passive movements of the nanotracers in the cytoplasm and thus to infer, for example, the viscosity of the cytoplasm.
From the movement of the nanotracers, active movements triggered by microtubules, for example, can also be detected. MSD analysis then allows conclusions to be drawn about the kinetics of protein-based active cell processes.
Among other things, the influence of the size of the tracer molecules on the kinetics of intracellular transport is investigated. By magnetic manipulation of the nanotracers, transport processes can be specifically influenced. In addition, the administration of proteinases or various drugs enables targeted intervention in the structure of cytoskeletal components or their deactivation and degradation. This opens up interesting possibilities for applications in targeted drug delivery, among others.
Publications within this project:
- Witzel P., Götz M., Lanoiselée Y., Franosch T., Grebenkov D.S. & Heinrich D.M. (2019), Heterogeneities Shape Passive Intracellular Transport, BiophysicalJournal 117(2): 203-213.article in journal: refereed
- Askes S.H.C., Bossert N., Bussmann J., Talens V.S., Meijer M.S., Kieltyka R.E., Kros A., Bonnet S.A. & Heinrich D.M. (2018), Dynamics of dual-fluorescent polymersomes with durable integrity in living cancer cells and zebrafish embryos, Biomaterials168: 54-63.article in journal: refereed
- Bossert N., Bruin D. de, Götz M., Bouwmeester D. & Heinrich D.M. (2016), Fluorescence-tunable Ag-DNA biosensor with tailored cytotoxicity for live-cell applications,Scientific Reports6: 37867.article in journal: refereed
- Götz M., Hodeck K.F., Witzel P., Nandi A., Lindner B. & Heinrich D.M. (2015), Probing cytoskeleton dynamics by intracellular particle transport analysis, EuropeanPhysical Journal Special Topics 224(7): 1169-1183.article in journal: refereed
- Dupont A., Gorelashvili M., Schüller V., Wehnekamp F., Arcizet D., Katayama Y., Lamb D.C. & Heinrich D.M. (2013), Single particle tracking in living cells: Is the third dimension worth it?, BiophysicalJournal 104(2): 650a.article injournal: refereed
- Dupont A., Gorelashvili M., Schüller V., Wehnekamp F., Arcizet D., Katayama Y., Lamb D.C. & Heinrich D.M. (2013), Three-dimensional single-particle tracking in live cells: news from the third dimension, NewJournal of Physics 15: 075008.article in journal: refereed
- Nandi A., Heinrich D.M. & Lindner B. (2012), Distribution of diffusion measures from a local mean-square displacement analysis,Physical Review E 86(2): 021926.article in journal: refereed
- Otten M., Nandi A., Arcizet D., Gorelashvili M., Lindner B. & Heinrich D.M. (2012), Local Motion Analysis Reveals Impact of the Dynamic Cytoskeleton on Intracellular Subdiffusion, BiophysicalJournal 102(4): 758 -767.article in journal: refereed