- Introduction to Statistics and Data Visualisation (1 Week; Chapter 1)
- Basics of Descriptive Statistics
- Data Visualisation
- Theoretical Foundations of Statistical Analysis (4 Weeks; Chapter 2)
- Axioms and Definitions in Statistics
- Expectation Operator
- Statistical Distributions
- Parameter Estimation
- Hypothesis Testing
- Confidence Intervals
- Regression (4 Weeks; Chapter 3)
- What is Regression?
- What is the Framework for Regression?
- Linear Regression
- Noninear Regression
- Design of Experiments (4 Weeks; Chapter 4)
- What is Design of Experiments? Why do we need Design of Experiments?
- Full Factorial Design
- Fractional Factorial Design
- Other Designs
The material taught in the class is directly taken from the English textbook. Class notes will not be provided, since the information can be found by looking in the book.
- Course Syllabus: Download
- Textbook: The course textbook can be access from https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-83190-5 or https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/ubilm-ebooks/detail.action?docID=6841085. The second edition is an updated version of the first edition.
- Sample Final: Download
- This sample final is based on the course I taught at the University of Alberta. There can be some small differences between what was covered this year and what the sample final gives.
- Bonus Point Form: Download
The English template files can be downloaded from the book website (Google Drive Link). The Excel slides for how to use the templates are provided below. The German version of the templates and the corresponding slides are also provided below. Please note that all template files, irrespective of their language, can be used on any Excel language version (the Excel language and template language need not match).
Yuri A.W. Shardt (2022). Statistics for Chemical and Process Engineers: A Modern Approach, Springer International Publishing: Cham, Switzerland. ISBN: 978-3-030-83190-5. doi: 10.1007/978-3030-83190-5.
- The second edition can be donwloaded from https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-83190-5.
- A digital copy of the first edition of the book can be downloaded from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/ubilm-ebooks/detail.action?docID=4178404, when you are connected to the TU Ilmenau network (either on campus on through a VPN). Similarly, the second edition can be obtained from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/ubilm-ebooks/detail.action?docID=6841085.
- Please check the errata et corrigenda for this book at http://yuri.shardt.me/pdf/ErrataCorrigenda.en.2.pdf.
- Lab Instructor: Aouss Gabash
- Please register for the labs using https://www1.tu-ilmenau.de/fg-at-prakt/.
- All required information can be found in the above lab portal.
- The labs start in June 2023.
- Please contact the lab instructor for any questions regarding the labs.
This course is offered in both English and German languages. The English version is offered in the Winter Semester, while the German version is offered in the Summer semester. The final can be written in each semester in both languages. The course content and material are identical in both languages. However, given the rather large difference between the terminology in both English and German, it is strongly recommended that the students write the final in the same language as the lectures they attended. At the minimum, the students should have read the textbook in the corresponding language.